!2020-2021 Cheer Tryouts!
THIS HAS TO BE POSTPONED UNTIL LATE THIS YEAR.
Please check this webpage in October for updates.
**Subject to Change
Melissa Jones - Head Cheer Coach
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Josie Martinez-Andrews - Assistant Cheer Coach
Update for Mesa Ridge Cheer 2020-2021 Season
*ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE*
Physicals will still need to be turned in prior to tryouts along with all paperwork
Paperwork Needed: Available On-Line at Mesa Ridge HS Webpage, Go to Athletics Tab, Bottom of Page, choose Resources Tab, choose Athletic Physical Documents. All of this needs to be filled out completely (except the part for the Doc)
POSTPONED UNTIL LATE THIS YEAR
All of this is dependent on what WSD3 decides the school year and sports will look like. I will communicate everything as soon as I am made aware. Please check my cheer webpage starting in October for updates.
July 30, 2020
Widefield School District No. 3
Mesa Ridge Cheer
PARTICIPATING STUDENT WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic Widefield School District No. 3 (the “District”) and Mesa Ridge High School will hold a voluntary cheer tryouts from Aug. 10th to Aug. 13th, 2020 for current incoming 9th-12th graders. This waiver also is inclusive of the cheer season for those students who are selected to participate. The expectations to participate in this voluntary cheer tryouts and the cheer season include:
Screening Process – Students and coaches will fill out a waiver form as well as have daily check-ins to review health questions. If a student or coach is sick, they will not be allowed to attend. If a student demonstrates any form of illness, they will contact their coach and if a student and/or coach answers three “yes” responses to the health screening questions, they will not be able to participate.
PPE Requirements – Students and coaches/sponsors will bring a mask to the tryouts. If you do not have a mask, access to tryouts will not be allowed. Masks will not be provided at tryouts.
Good rule to follow; when you are standing, listening or watching, wear a mask.
Students and coaches/sponsors will practice appropriate social distancing (six feet apart).
Students and coaches/sponsors will bring their own snacks/water. There will be no sharing of water/snacks.
No more than 25 total participants per area in an outdoor setting.
No more than 10 to 25 total participants per area in an indoor setting (depending on square footage).
While participating in cheer tryouts and the cheer season, student/athletes and coaches/sponsors will be using the following;
Tumbling Mats will be the only item that is shared. These mats will be sprayed and wiped down often. Students will be given time to wash their hands and or use sanitizer.
When stunting takes place, the students will wear a mask until recommendations change.
A sanitation station(hand sanitizer, soap & water and disinfectant spray) will be provided for kids. Student/athletes will be encouraged, but not required to use.
PARTICIPATION IN CHEER TRYOUTS IS STRICTLY VOLUNTARY. IF THE STUDENT/ATHLETES DOES NOT SHOW FOR THIS TRYOUT< THIS COULD AFFECT WHETHER THEY EARN A SPOT ON THE TEAM.
For those Students who will participate in cheer tryouts, the following permission with waiver and hold harmless agreement must be signed by the Parents and the Student.
PERMISSION/REQUEST TO PARTICIPATE:
Please check the boxes and complete the following statements as applicable:
□ I, the undersigned, affirm that I am the parent or legal guardian of the following named Student, dob _________________ : (the “Student”). I hereby give permission for the Student to participate in Cheer Tryouts to be conducted at the Mesa Ridge High School campus located at, 6070 Mesa Ridge Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80911 from August 10, 2020 through August 13, 2020, and all essential activities connected therewith, as requested by the District.
PARENTS’/STUDENT’S REPRESENTATIONS: In consideration of permitting the Student to participate in Cheer Tryouts and the cheer season at Mesa Ridge High School, and as an express inducement therefor, the Parents and Student hereby state, affirm, and agree to the following:
a. The Student does not have a COVID-19 infection, or any illness, condition, or impairment that would create a direct threat to the health or safety of the Student or others if the Student participates in the Ceremony. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Parents and Student attest that the following statements are true:
1) The Student who will attend Cheer Tryouts and the cheer season who shows any 3 of the following symptoms (unless related to a chronic disease) will not be able to participate:
Fever, Cough, Shortness of Breath, Fatigue, Muscle Pain, Chills, Headache, Diarrhea, Nausea, Sore Throat.
2) The Student who will attend Cheer Tryouts and the cheer season has had no close contact with a person suspected of having COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
3) The Student who will attend Cheer Tryouts and the cheer season does not live with or have/has provided care to, without the use of a protective mask, a person suspected of having COVID-19.
4) The Student who will attend Cheer Tryouts and the cheer season has/have not shared the same closed environment (e.g., classroom, workspace, gym) with or traveled in close proximity (1 meter or 3 feet) to a person suspected of having COVID-19.
5) The Student who will attend Cheer Tryouts and the cheer season has had no face-to-face contact within 1 meter (3 feet) for longer than 15 minutes with a person suspected of having COVID-19.
a. The Parents and Student understand that the World Health Organization, the US Center for Disease Control, the Governor of the State of Colorado have declared a world-wide, nation-wide, and state-wide pandemic of the coronavirus that causes the disease called COVID-19, that there is currently no vaccine or medial cure for COVID-19, that the coronavirus that causes the disease is said to be extraordinarily easy to transmit between people, and that gatherings of large numbers of people or people in close proximity to one another are believed to be the main cause of the spread of COVID-19. Accordingly, any gathering of people, including the Program, is or can be inherently dangerous and unpredictable, and that serious illness or even death can occur as a result of a person’s participation in such an activity.
b. The Parents, and Student understand and agree that the Student’s participation in Cheer Tryouts at Mesa Ridge High School and the cheer season shall be at the Parents’ and Student’s sole risk, and that, while the District plans to do everything reasonably feasible to ensure that participants in the Program are safe and protected, the District expressly disclaims any representation or undertaking that the Program is safe for the Student who will attend the Program and further disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for any illness or infection that may occur from or in connection with the Program.
c. The Parents and Student affirm that they are aware of the kinds of risks they and their child will face in connection with Cheer Tryouts and the cheer season and recognize that the District will not necessarily be able to protect them or their child from all such risks. The Parents and Student state expressly that they have made a decision to assume such risks and that they understand the District has relied upon this assumption of risk in permitting the Student to participate in Cheer Tryouts
WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS: The Parents and Student hereby waive any and all claims and demands for relief, whether past or future and regardless of the legal or factual bases thereof, that could be asserted in any forum or manner whatsoever, based upon, related to, or concerning the Student’s participation in the Program, expressly including but not limited to any claim arising from infection, illness, or death to persons or any economic damages, including those claims based on any alleged or actual NEGLIGENCE, any BREACH OF any express or implied statutory or other duty of care, or mistakes or errors in judgment of any kind, and expressly release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless the District, its employees, Board of Education members, agents, and insurance carriers from and against any and all such claims and demands regardless when or by whom asserted.
Print Parent/Guardian Name Telephone Number
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
MESA RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL CHEER CONTRACT 2020-2021
The purpose of the MRSH Cheer squad is to promote, uphold, and continuously develop school spirit and sportsmanship in support of Mesa Ridge High School. Also, to develop, maintain and nurture a positive image in the school and surrounding communities, as well as to be an ambassador for Mesa Ridge while working in harmony with administration, faculty, sports teams, and the surrounding community.
· Must turn in medical release (pink card) and physical for the current school year.
· Sign, agree to, and abide by the Mesa Ridge High School Cheer Contract.
· Read, Review, and abide by the Mesa Ridge Athletic Handbook and all the rules/regulations of Mesa Ridge High School and CHSAA.
· Mesa Ridge Cheer will follow requirements for grade eligibility set forth by CHSAA. NO EXCEPTIONS. Weekly checks will be monitored. Grade checks are done on Mondays…. if you are not eligible, then you don’t cheer that week.
· School is your first responsibility: If you can’t get your grades up in three consecutive weeks, then you are off the team and NO REFUNDS for any monies paid.
· Cheerleaders should keep uniforms and shoes clean at all times…cheer shoes are for cheer.
· For safety reasons and per CHSAA, no jewelry/watches are to be worn when cheering or competing. This includes facial/body jewelry/piercings.
· Fingernails should not be long will not exceed fingertip length or have loud paint (clear, skin tone or French manicure is okay for regular cheer season) and will be maintained per CHSAA governing rules.
· Makeup should not be excessive and is not to be applied in front of the crowd.
· Cheerleaders will cover up any visible tattoos at the discretion of the CHSAA governing rules, Mesa Ridge faculty, and/or coaching staff.
· All hairstyles should be neat, out of your face, and as close to uniform as possible for the squad in total. This means a full ponytail with bow when in uniform and a full ponytail during all cheer activities. Short hair is an exception, or when directed otherwise by the cheer coaching staff. Your BOW is part of your uniform!
Uniforms and Equipment
· MRHS Cheerleaders are responsible for the maintenance and condition of the all items checked out to them. The cheerleader will be responsible for any items not returned in the same condition items were issued.
· Uniforms are the property of MRHS and cannot be changed or altered without approval of the head cheer coach.
· Any damage done to uniforms/equipment must be paid for by the cheerleader. Any uniforms damaged beyond repair must be paid for at replacement cost.
· Uniforms/and all cheer gear may ONLY be worn by MRHS cheerleaders and only for events designated by the coach.
· All other required gear will be at a cost to the cheerleader. This must be paid in full before the gear is issued. If you cannot pay for what is ordered, you will be removed from the squad.
· There will be no refunds for any gear purchased for any reason.
· Cheer practice for the 2020-2021 school year (Fall Sports) will be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3:30-5pm unless modified by the cheer coaches, notice given to cheerleaders as soon as possible. After Winter Break, (Winter Sports) Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 3:30-5pm, unless a need arises. A detailed calendar will be created and given to each cheerleader by the first practice of the season and a general practice schedule will posted on the Mesa Ridge High School homepage under the athletics tab, choose cheerleading. Please always refer to the detailed calendar first.
· If you don’t come to practice without proper notice given to the coaching staff, you will be benched for part of or the entire game that week.
· If the team commits to competition, there will be additional practices scheduled.
· If you are not eligible for the week due to grades, that does not excuse you from practice. Please communicate with the coaching staff for further instruction.
· A coach must be present to supervise during all stunting activities. Coaches must approve all new stunts.
· There is to be no talking, laughing or screaming during the building and execution of stunts to protect the safety of our athletes.
· MRHS Cheerleaders will abide by all CHSAA safety regulations.
· MRHS Cheerleaders will be required to participate in warm up, conditioning and other training activities to maintain strength and flexibility and prevent injury.
GAMES AND TRANSPORTATION
· We cheer for Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball, and Wrestling. WE CHEER FOR ALL FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL HOME GAMES. Varsity Cheers for Home and Away Football games with transportation provided for away games. Cheering for Volleyball, Soccer, and Wrestling will be as time permits and scheduled by the cheer coaching staff.
· Marching Band Students: A coordination between Mr. O and the coaching staff can be arranged but is the responsibility of the student to participate in developing a schedule.
· Mesa Ridge High School allows you to participate in ONE additional sport during the cheer season. (Cheer season is August through February) When a conflict arises between cheer and the sport, you will be excused from cheer if proper communication has taken place. This does not include managing other sports teams. This also does not include pre-season practice for a spring sport, as those practices are optional. Spring sports take place after the cheer season.
· Each cheerleader is responsible for securing transportation to and from all home games.
· All cheerleaders are expected to arrive AT LEAST 20 minutes before game time, or the time disclosed by coach in advance. This is to ensure proper stretching and that everyone is ready to go.
· When bus transportation is provided, cheerleaders are required to ride the bus to and from games and will respect the transportation codes of conduct set by WSD3.
· No friends, visitors, and or parents are allowed on the bus. Only the cheerleaders who are cheering at the game we are traveling to will ride the bus.
· Cheerleaders are expected to stay until the end of each game to cheer.
· If you would like to ride home with a parent, I need a note/text message from your parent at least 1 hour prior to us departing for the game.
· Cheerleaders must follow all rules and guidelines per Mesa Ridge rules, regulations, and guidelines.
· Cheerleaders are expected to maintain and uphold the reputation of Mesa Ridge High School and the reputation of the MRHS Cheer program at all times. This means in uniform and out of uniform, in school, and out of school.
· Cheerleaders will be respectful to each other, all visiting cheer squads, athletes, fans, coaches, and game officials.
· Public displays of affection are not allowed at school or at school activities while in uniform or while wearing any cheer gear.
· Inappropriate and/or obscene language, behavior, appearance, and/or other conduct resulting in consequence from Mesa Ridge faculty or administration will NOT be tolerated and is grounds for disciplinary action up to dismissal from the squad.
· Social Media accounts are held to the same expectations as all other described behavior. These accounts should be private. If behavior that is unbecoming of MRHS student is brought to the Mesa Ridge Staff’s attention, it is grounds for disciplinary action up to dismissal from the squad.
· In school or out of school suspension assigned to a member of the cheer squad during cheer season will result in an automatic strike and the circumstances will be reviewed by the cheer coaches and the athletic director for possible dismissal from the squad.
· Ineligibility due to grades for more than one consecutive week will result in a strike.
· An unexcused absence from any cheer practice or a game will count as a strike. Not calling/texting a member of the coaching staff PRIOR to the meeting time for practice or a game is an example of a strike.
· Demerits: These are minor infractions that will be kept tract of. Being late, poor attitude, missing equipment, or not prepared for games or practice are examples of a demerit. 5 demerits equal a strike.
· Automatic assignment of strike and/or dismissal at the discretion of the coaching staff can be assigned for any behavior deemed unacceptable by the Mesa Ridge faculty, administration, and/or coaching staff or for any behavior deemed unacceptable or unlawful in or out of school.
Assignment of disciplinary action and/or immediate dismissal in any situation is at the discretion of the coaching staff.
· 3 Strikes and you are removed from the squad.
· Strike Examples: In School Detention/Suspension, Unexcused Absence from a game or practice, Not eligible to cheer due to grades
· Members who are dismissed from the squad or quit may not be able to tryout for future seasons.
· Cheerleaders who finish the Varsity season with a demonstration of good attendance and citizenship will receive a letter.
· Coaches reserve the right to award additional letters for situations deemed appropriate.
· All information for parents and cheerleaders will be communicated as soon as the cheer staff is aware of any information to provide. Cheer staff will use any combination of voice, text, email, or apps such as Group Me. Please make sure the cheer staff has your current information.
· Please do not take cheer away as a punishment-this effects the entire team, not just your child.
· Any concerns that a cheerleader may have should be brought to the cheer staff by the cheerleader FIRST.
· Parents should wait 24 hours after any incident before contacting a member of the coaching staff. This is a MRHS general rule of thumb.
· If the cheerleader, coach and parent(s) are unable to come to a resolution, the coach will invite the athletic director to assist.
· Cheerleaders are to be treated as athletes while cheering. Please don’t have unnecessary conversations or contact during games.
Responsibilities of the Coaching Staff
· The coaching staff is responsible for helping the cheerleaders develop their skills and character while keeping safety in mind at all times.
· The coaching staff will always be fair in the treatment of each member of the squad and will respect of all team members.
· The coaching staff will organize and arrange all training, equipment, travel, and schedules.
· Communicate with the Cheer Team/Parents as soon as information is available. Cheer Coaching staff uses GROUP ME to communicate. Students, please be sure to download to your phone.
Acknowledgement of receipt and review
By signing below, I, __________________________________, state that I will abide by and support the rules and guidelines of the Mesa Ridge Cheerleading contract and all other guidelines of MRHS and governing institutions and organizations.
By signing below, I, ___________________________________, the parent of _______________________________, state that I will abide by and support the rules and guidelines of the Mesa Ridge Cheerleading contract and all other guidelines of MRHS and governing institutions and organizations.
Parent’s Signature_______________________________________________ Date_______________
Cell Phone ___________________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Name _________________________________________________________
Cell Phone ____________________________________________________________________
MESA RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL
CHEERLEADING CLINICS AND TRYOUTS
DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED 2020
__________________ has my permission to try out for the Mesa Ridge High School Cheer Team. I acknowledge that while some costs are covered by the school, there will be additional costs that are the responsibility of the cheer team member upon being selected for the team.
Cost estimate : 250.00
Cost Estimates are for the following:
Spirit Wear/Poms/Warm-ups/Backpack/Bows/Socks/Shoes/Under Armor: (Gear cost is less for returning Cheerleaders)
_______________________________________________________ Student Signature/Date
_______________________________________________________ Parent Signature/Date
This and all other paperwork must be signed and returned by 2ND day of clinics.